| Prof. Janak Pandey E-Mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
(Joined as the founding Vice-Chancellor of the Central University of Bihar on March 2, 2009)
Education: B.A. Hons, 1962 from Ranchi University, M.A. in Psychology, 1964, Patna, Ph.D., 1974, Social Psychology, Kansas State University, Kansas, USA.
Academic and Administrative Positions
Held previously: : Head, UGC Centre of Excellence for Behavioural and Cognitive Sciences, & Co-ordinator, Centre for Advanced Study in Psychology, Allahabad University, Allahabad (2002-2009), Vice-chancellor (for interim period), Allahabad University (May 31st - Oct 9th 2004); Pro-Vice-chancellor, Allahabad University, Sept., 2003 - May 31, 2004; Director ; G. B. Pant Social Science (ICSSR) Institute, Allahabad, May, 1996 – Jan., 2002, Dean Faculty of Arts (1987 – 90); and Head; Department of Psychology, University of Allahabad, 1982-83 & 2002-2008.
Fellowship: National Fellowship, Indian Council of Social Science Research, New Delhi, 1998; Professional Associate, East-West Centre, Hawaii, 1989; Senior Commonwealth Fellowship, University of Manitoba, Canada, 1994; Fulbright Scholar-in-Residence & Visiting Professor, Wake Forest University, U.S.A., 1986 - 1987; Fulbright Doctoral Fellowship, Dept. of Psychology, Kansas State University, 1971 - 1974.
Honours & Awards: Honarary Fellow, International Association for Cross-Cultural Psychology, 2006; Felicitation by the Chancellor of the University on his first visit of the University in 2006; Distinguish Teacher Award of Allahabad University in 2003; The Professor VKRV Rao Award in Psychology in 1989; Patna University Gold Medal for the First Rank in M.A. Psychology in 1964.
Positions in Professional Societies
Current: Member of Executive Council of International Union of Psychological Science; Member of the Board, International Association of Applied Psychology; Advisor, Asian Association of Social Psychology; Advisor, National Academy of Psychology (India).
Previous:President (1994-96); International Association for Cross-Cultural Psychology. President, National Academy of Psychology (India), (2002).
Research and Publications: Specialization: Social Psychology and Cross-cultural Psychology
Published over 80 Scientific papers in Journals like: Journal of Personality, Journal of Social Psychology, Journal of Applied Social Psychology, Journal of Basic and Applied Social Psychology, European Journal of Social Psychology, Environment and Behaviour, Environmental Psychology, International Journal of Psychology; Jr. of Cross-Cultural Psychology; International Review of Applied Psychology, etc.
Have edited two rounds of ICSSR review of psychological research in India. The first round was published in 1988 in three volumes as Psychology In India: State of the art (New Delhi: Sage Publisher).The second round also resulted in three volumes (2001, 2002, 2004) as: Psychology in India state of the art: Revisited (New Delhi: Sage)
Committees: Member, Indian National Commission of UNESCO and UNESCO Social Science sub Commission, 1998-99; Member, Indo-Russian Joint Commission for Social Sciences and member of the Joint Commission's Meeting held in Moscow, Oct. 1999; Leader of the ICSSR Delegation of Social Sciences to Vietnam & Co-Chair of the Joint Commission Meeting, Hanoi, Sept. 2000; Co-Chair of the meeting of the Indo-Dutch Programme on Alternatives in Development, The Hague, The Netherlands, May 28 - June 1, 2001. Has been member of various committees of ICSSR, UGC, NCERT, & ICPR.
Major Academic Institutions Building Role:
- As Head (2002-2009) led development of UGC Centre of Excellence for Behavioural and Cognitive Sciences only of its kind of a truly international quality in all respects (Doctoral & Master Programs, International & National Collaborations, Quality Research, and best infrastructure, attracting best interdisciplinary faculty).
- As Professor, Head & Co-ordinator of Centre of Advanced Study in Psychology developed its Doctoral and Research programs of International recognition.
- As Pro-Vice-Chancellor and Vice-Chancellor (2003-04) played critical role during transition of Allahabad University as a Central Institution.
- As Director (1996-2002) developed G.B. Pant Social Science Research Institute and restored its national status by organizing academic Centres, introduction of MBA in Rural Development, establishment of Museum of Human Development and suitable infrastructures.
- Have been representing the National Academy of Psychology to the International Union of Psychological Science and succeeded admission of India in the union in 2004 after a gape of 20 years.
- Member of the Executive Council: International Union of Psychological Sciences.
- Member of the Board: International Association of Applied Psychology.